Friday, December 6, 2013

One More Christmas Pillow

For someone who doesn't usually sew for the Holidays, I have been on a Christmas pillow tear lately. This one was actually started last year and didn't get  finished. It was inspired by a pillow I saw in a Better Homes and Gardens article a few years ago.




I used a white linen for the background and green scraps for the trees. The unexpected pink one says "Be the tree you were meant to be" and well, it just makes me smile!   I have become rather smitten with the raw edge applique technique, and especially like it here with a contrasting dark brown thread.




The back is a wonderful print from Riley Blake's Alpine Wonderland.  I sewed  a flap closure for the zipper and matched the print so it would be "hidden".




For the binding, a soft red print from October Afternoon's Sidewalks collection is a nice contrast and there is nothing more Christmas-y than red and green!

This one came out an odd size - 15" x 24" so I had to make a pillow form to fit it.  My favorite stuffing is Morning Glory Cluster Stuff (bought at Walmart).  It is very fluffy and easily reshaped - a good alternative to feathers. I once tried to make a pillow insert out of feathers from a bed pillow. Bad idea - feathers went everywhere!!

I may still have one more Christmas pillow in my arsenal.  There's enough Winter's Lane left and the Noel Patchwork Pillow needs a friend...

It's a finish and it's a Friday, so I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions of A Fabric Addict and TGIFF at Quokka Quilts.


Happy Holiday Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. Super cute pillow! I like the raw edge applique look too! What kind of fusible works best for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Pellon Wonder Under mainly because I can buy it at JoAnn's with a coupon :-)

      Delete
  2. Darling Christmas tree pillow! The choices of fabrics are wonderful too! I had to laugh when you stated not going to use feathers again! That must have been a sight. Anyways love the raw edges with the brown thread straight stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your pillow! I think it would look great in my house. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is a beautiful pillow!!! Good for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. a great pillow, love the pink tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm LOVING your pillows! Maybe I'll find time to make some in January??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pillow.....just love those trees!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute. I love the fabric. And of course the pink Henna tree--my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a pillow from one of yours last week and now you come up with this... OH what shall I do.... Please forgive the flickr stalk as well. I just love everything you make!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...