I made the decision to make an embroidery kit after really enjoying the class we took from Alison Glass and the inspiration came from this one, made by Melissa. I have used Essex linen in natural and an assortment of Anna Maria Horner scraps for the feather and piecing.
The wonderful print on the back is called Handmaids and is by Quilting Treasures.
It has a wistful vintage sewing theme with lots of text, I love it!!
I drew the arrows freehand and stitched them with perle cotton #8 in colors that matched the fabrics.
Because I didn't have a pattern, this was another of my make it up as I go projects. I have been asked about how I made it and will do my best to share the details. The feather pattern is a free PDF download from Anna Maria Horner. I simply shrunk it to 50% and then added the scrappy patchwork and the embroidered arrows to make it my desired size.
It measures about 7 1/2" x 8 3/4" closed and 15" x 8 3/4" open. I used fusible fleece, attached to the front, and a 24" zipper. I curved the corners by tracing a spool of thread. It is much easier to attach the zipper to curved corners than square!
The clear vinyl pockets for the floss spools are sewn from 12 gauge vinyl and the pockets are 2" square. I cut the lining 1/2" bigger than the front and sewed a 1/4" pleat in the center. I tucked the vinyl pockets under the pleat and top-stitched along the edge. I think this gives it a nice, clean finish.
The tricky part was figuring out how to do the zipper and binding. I opened up the zipper and attached it to the lining side, wrong side down and the tape towards the raw edge. You can see how I managed the ends by looking at the pictures. I tried a couple of ways to attach the binding, but the best way was to sew it on top of the zipper on the lining side and then turn it to the outside and hand-stitch it in place. I know this is opposite of how bindings are typically done, but it allowed for easier sewing to have the zipper visible while sewing the binding on. The binding was cut on the bias to ensure a nice curve at the corners.
There is a large inside pocket on the inside back and a smaller divided pocket on the inside front. A felt rectangle trimmed with scallop edge scissors gives her a nice place to rest needles.
I am really pleased with how this turned out and I think that Lindsey was pretty happy that it was for her! A big thank you to Melissa for the inspiration and for sharing her talents and mad skills!!
Linking up with these:
CRAZY MOM QUILTS
Have a fun, creative weekend and Happy Sewing,