Friday, May 9, 2014

Embroidery Kit - Finished and Gifted

Now that my swap partner has received her gift, I can share the finish with you. After Sew South, a swap was organized and I got the name of Lindsey who blogs at LRstitched. She is just the sweetest person ever and I wanted to make her something special.

I made the decision to make an embroidery kit after really enjoying the class we took from Alison Glass and the inspiration came from this one, made by Melissa. I have used Essex linen in natural and an assortment of Anna Maria Horner scraps for the feather and piecing.

embroidery kit anna maria horner feather and fabric

The wonderful print on the back is called Handmaids and is by Quilting Treasures.
 It has a wistful vintage sewing theme with lots of text, I love it!!

embroidery kit back view the sewing chick

embroidery kit handmade by the sewing chick



I drew the arrows freehand and stitched them with perle cotton #8 in colors that matched the fabrics.

embroidered arrows stitched by the sewing chick






Because I didn't have a pattern, this was another of my make it up as I go projects.  I have been asked about how I made it and will do my best to share the details.  The feather pattern is a free PDF download from Anna Maria Horner.  I simply shrunk it to 50% and then added the scrappy patchwork and the embroidered arrows to make it my desired size.

It measures about 7 1/2" x 8 3/4" closed and 15" x 8 3/4" open. I used fusible fleece, attached to the front, and a 24" zipper. I curved the corners by tracing a spool of thread. It is much easier to attach the zipper to curved corners than square!

The clear vinyl pockets for the floss spools are sewn from 12 gauge vinyl and the pockets are 2" square. I cut the lining 1/2" bigger than the front and sewed a 1/4" pleat in the center. I tucked the vinyl pockets under the pleat and top-stitched along the edge. I think this gives it a nice, clean finish.

The tricky part was figuring out how to do the zipper and binding. I opened up the zipper and attached it to the lining side, wrong side down and the tape towards the raw edge. You can see how I managed the ends by looking at the pictures. I tried a couple of ways to attach the binding, but the best way was to sew it on top of the zipper on the lining side and then turn it to the outside and hand-stitch it in place. I know this is opposite of how bindings are typically done, but it allowed for easier sewing to have the zipper visible while sewing the binding on. The binding was cut on the bias to ensure a nice curve at the corners.

There is a large inside pocket on the inside back and a smaller divided pocket on the inside front. A felt rectangle trimmed with scallop edge scissors gives her a nice place to rest needles.

I am really pleased with how this turned out and I think that Lindsey was pretty happy that it was for her! A big thank you to Melissa for the inspiration and for sharing her talents and mad skills!!

Linking up with these:

CRAZY MOM QUILTS




Have a fun, creative weekend and Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

18 comments:

  1. this is absolutely stunning. I love everything about this fantastic organizer. Thanks for all the tips and instructions, I'm sure I'll be making one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing!! I'm sure she loved it!!! Love the feather on the front, and the little pockets for the embroidery floss are great!!!

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally making this for one of my sisters. Beautiful work. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! I've got 'feather fever', and like how you adapted the pattern for your case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fantastic! I especially love all the special details, like the embroidered feathers and the pull tab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous!! You are very talented!! Lucky girl, the one who received this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very special gift! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous - I would be very happy to receive something like this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it. I have started embroidery and have floss falling every where. This would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how creative of you to make this without a pattern, it is a wonderful and useful piece all in one, I am sure Lindsey is delighted with her gift

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this!!! Very beautiful and thank you for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work and love the vinyl pockets! Your sewing skills are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is perfection Tessa! Love the fabrics and all the little details! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Precioso me encanta como te ha quedado. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  15. To say I love this is a giant understatement! I adore it! What a brilliant construction -my two favorite things -beautiful and functional. Excellent work and I know Lindsey will enjoy it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...