Friday, May 23, 2014

My Weekender Bag is Finished!!


I never wanted to make a Weekender bag. I thought it was just okay looking and probably too much effort with all that stiff interfacing. But then I saw Elizabeth's patchwork version using a quilt as you go method and cotton duck canvas for stability. It was no longer a matter of if I wanted to make one, I had to make one!

So I bought the pattern, chose fabric (the blue, yellow and grays from Lotta Jansdotter's Bella) and began last summer. But things came up as things do, other priorities emerged and it got put on the back burner. Enter a Weekend Sew Along with Sew Lux Fabrics, Love by Hand and Modern Handcraft, giving me just the motivation I needed to get it out and finish it up!! There are prizes after all!!





I am now going to blast you with pictures because you don't work on something as long and as hard as this without showing it off like crazy...















My favorite zippers to use for bags are made by ByAnnie as they come in a good range of colors and lengths. Here I used a 30" double slide in dark gray. Having the two slides is a great feature for a bag of this size.

If you are going to make this bag, I suggest that you read through all the directions first. I am really bad about actually reading patterns and if I had there a couple of things that I may have done differently.

The trickiest part was sewing the main pieces together and getting in close to the piping. I actually sewed these seams twice - the first time with the main bag piece on the bottom and the side panel on top to get around the corners nicely. Then I flipped the bag over so that the main bag piece was on the top and sewed the seam again to get as close to the piping as possible. As for the corners, shorten your stitch length and sew continuously rather than stopping and pivoting and go SLOWLY (one stitch at a time!!)

I did lengthen the handles so that I could easily carry the bag on my shoulder and I chose to bind the pockets along the top edge instead of using piping. Otherwise I followed the directions as they were written and used Elizabeth's tutorial.

What else can I say except I pretty much love this bag...




Do you like the heart cutout? It is a new feature on PicMonkey.com!! You can find it in the frames section of the basic edits - there are a handful of shapes to choose from. It's pretty awesome!


I'll be linking this up with as many finish parties I can find!!

CRAZY MOM QUILTS
CAN I GET A WHOOP WHOOP
TGIFF at GeorgiaGirlQuilts this week



Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

30 comments:

  1. OMG. Love this. Now I want to make one, but I have an irrational fear of bag making. I might just have to suck it up and give it a try. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So gorgeous! Would love to make one, but I just can't. Too scared. Ha. Good for you for picking it back up. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame you for wanting to show it off, it's gorgeous! This bag pattern scares me, but I "need" one now, just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweeeeeeeet! Yep....I'd be bragging on it too!:) I love that shape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! This pattern is so worth it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Worth the effort for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great bag! You did a really professional job on it and I'm sure you will get lots of "where did you get that" comments when you carry it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fabric selections, this is just beautifully made :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is totally gorgeous! What a perfect way to showcase special fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful. I am not good at bag making ... just bad admiring. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tessa it looks great!! I can't wait to see it in person. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like how this turned out. It has been fun to watch your progress. Bella is one of my faborite lines and the first non-Moda designer fabric I ever tried. I'm new to bags and this looks stressful but I still want to make it - some day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bag looks amazing! So beautiful and I love the fabric your have used. What a gorgeous bag design too! You should be so proud of it - I would want to take it everywhere just to show it off. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your color and fabric selection. Your bag is gorgeous, I can't imagine how much work went into it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a baeuty and looks so professional love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray! This looks fabulous! Way to conquer the Weekender! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely stunning Tessa. I am not normally a yellow person, but this is beautiful with the blue and grey. I love those little touches too, the selvedge label and those little red people??
    Well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great bag! I love that you put that little piece with the red bunnies in there :) thanks for sharing the tip for photo frames!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome bag and thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! This pattern is on my list but I am intimidated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this bag and your fabrics! I have the pattern and now to get motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bag looks amazing! I still haven't tackled one but definitely want to!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally love your bag! I have the pattern, bought all the materials needed, and never had the courage to even start sewing it. I know I'm getting closer and closer every day to starting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is lovely! I felt the same way about the weekender until I saw the QAYG version by One Shabby Chick. Fun to see yours in similar fabrics to my own!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously AMAZING! You did an AMAZING job and I am so happy that you finally finished! YAY Friend! You are awesome. And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Tessa! This is just amazing bag! Beautiful MIX of Fabrics and so carefuly work! Your blog's header is also most beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  27. Saw this on IG and fell in love! You have mad sewing skills and your fabric choices are so wonderful! Congrats and enjoy this amazing bag!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...