Friday, June 6, 2014

A Finished Quilt - Happy Baby II



Looking back over my most recent blog posts, I was dismayed to see it has been a while since I have had a finished quilt to share!! I am glad to have this one to show you today! I am calling it Happy Baby II since it is basically the same pattern as Happy Baby. The blocks are smaller and I added an extra row to be a good crib size or for playing on the floor.

colorful modern baby quilt the sewing chick


I had considered writing a pattern for this, but as I have already done a tutorial for the star blocks, it didn't really seem necessary. The 9 patch blocks are about as simple as you can get - each square is cut 4 1/2" for a 12" finished block. Sew together in rows of three. Pressing the seams in opposite directions for each row allows them to lock together when joining the rows. The quilt is 36" x 48".

The fabric is called "Sidewalks" from October Afternoon (Riley Blake) with white Kona and this beautiful Heather Bailey "Nicey Jane" on the back. I have been saving this one for a while and am happy to see it put to good use! 


quilt back nicey jane church flowers the sewing chick


The quilting is an allover loopy pattern - a favorite of mine for it's simplicity and texture.

I thought a solid for the binding would be a calming contrast to all the busy prints - machine stitched as usual.


machine stitched binding the sewing chick


The fabrics in this quilt definitely satisfy my need for pretty!! They are soft and vintage but have an up-to-date feel about them at the same time!! {Happy sigh}.





Linking up with:

CRAZY MOM QUILTS




Have a great weekend everyone - summer is here!!

Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

19 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful. So bright and cheery! Lovely choice of fabrics! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty. I agree the solid binding was a great choice, it frames the quilt nicely and gives it a good balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt! That patterns are amazing - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this Tessa....I'm just about ready to back and bind mine! Thanks so much for your fantastic blog and the guidance you have given me via email on the smaller boy version of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love the pretty stars offset with the nine-patch blocks! And the loopy quilting it perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's so very pretty. Thanks for the eye candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I LOVE this quilt and I already have the fabric, and I want to try the economy blocks. I am so excited! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a lovely quilt but I beg to differ on the simple 9 patch blocks, I find squares so hard to match up all the seams, triangles seem to work better for me, I know it must be I am not accurate enough with my piecing but I do try!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt Tessa.....really love it! Marie x (quiltswithpersonality@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so pretty :-)) ,maybe an Idea for my expectant granddaughter,have time till November :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is perfect. Great pattern. Wonderful fabric, awesome back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is deceptively simple looking, but anyone lacking your eye for pattern and color and your precision in sewing (I.e. me) would never end up with such a beautiful quilt!! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very pretty! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In what I call my other life (1st Marriage, he died ) we had a house with knee walls and hubby cut fronts out and made me drawers in behind those walls that pulled out into the room on one side, they were great and held a ton of stuff, if you can visualize what I mean it would give you lots and lots of storage as that is all wasted space in behind the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet baby quilt! Love the fabrics and the backing is definitely a great choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...