My work in progress this week involves the relocation of my sewing room. For a long time, I have been feeling cramped and uninspired in my little sewing space. Don't get me wrong, I love it and am grateful to have a space to call my own, but I have acquired too much stuff (code word for fabric) and spend more time looking for things than actually sewing. I NEED to be organized to feel calm and creative and organized I was not!
Ever since my oldest daughter graduated from college in December and we were sure she wouldn't be coming back home, I have been eyeing the room upstairs that she had been using for her bedroom. It is much larger than the small bedroom I have been using and would give me ample space to store all my gear and still have room to spread out when I sew (I am a very messy quilter).
|This is what it looked like before.|
It has it's drawbacks - the slanted ceiling will make a design wall difficult, what am I going to do with all the junk we have been storing up there, and I will be further away from the family, but I recently heard some good advice (thank you House Hunters on HGTV). A clever realtor called it the 80/20 rule - you can have 80% of what you really want and the other 20% requires some "making do". Brilliant! It doesn't have to be perfect and the larger space will definitely make up for the smaller design wall. I actually think that being away from the rest of the house is a good thing - less distractions (you know, dishes, cleaning, laundry...). I can go up there when the kids are at school and feel like I am at "work"!
This is my (very unprofessional) sketch of how I would like it to look. It may or may not end up looking anything like this, but at least it gives me a starting point.
I moved my quilting machine upstairs and was going to wait to finish the move until the fall. My son goes to college and a good project will take my mind off feeling sad that he is gone. But this week, I got to the breaking point - my sewing room was smothering me and I needed to make a change fast! So I took down the bed and started moving things around. The sewing machine went up, the old pine table went up, the junk started coming down (still don't know where I am going to put it all). As for storage, I can make do with what I have for now. I put bed risers under the pine table to make it the right height for cutting and I am using my daughter's old dresser to store notions and tools. A trip to IKEA is definitely in order - wouldn't this make a great cutting table? Or even two, back to back?!!