Wednesday, June 4, 2014

WIP of the non-sewing kind


My work in progress this week involves the relocation of my sewing room. For a long time, I have been feeling cramped and uninspired in my little sewing space. Don't get me wrong, I love it and am grateful to have a space to call my own, but I have acquired too much stuff (code word for fabric) and spend more time looking for things than actually sewing. I NEED to be organized to feel calm and creative and organized I was not!

Ever since my oldest daughter graduated from college in December and we were sure she wouldn't be coming back home, I have been eyeing the room upstairs that she had been using for her bedroom. It is much larger than the small bedroom I have been using and would give me ample space to store all my gear and still have room to spread out when I sew (I am a very messy quilter).


This is what it looked like before.

 It has it's drawbacks - the slanted ceiling will make a design wall difficult, what am I going to do with all the junk we have been storing up there, and I will be further away from the family, but I recently heard some good advice (thank you House Hunters on HGTV). A clever realtor called it the 80/20 rule - you can have 80% of what you really want and the other 20% requires some "making do". Brilliant! It doesn't have to be perfect and the larger space will definitely make up for the smaller design wall. I actually think that being away from the rest of the house is a good thing - less distractions (you know, dishes, cleaning, laundry...). I can go up there when the kids are at school and feel like I am at "work"!

This is my (very unprofessional) sketch of how I would like it to look. It may or may not end up looking anything like this, but at least it gives me a starting point.




I moved my quilting machine upstairs and was going to wait to finish the move until the fall. My son goes to college and a good project will take my mind off feeling sad that he is gone. But this week, I got to the breaking point - my sewing room was smothering me and I needed to make a change fast! So I took down the bed and started moving things around. The sewing machine went up, the old pine table went up, the junk started coming down (still don't know where I am going to put it all). As for storage,  I can make do with what I have for now. I put bed risers under the pine table to make it the right height for cutting and I am using my daughter's old dresser to store notions and tools. A trip to IKEA is definitely in order - wouldn't this make a great cutting table? Or even two, back to back?!!
VĂ„RDE Base cabinet IKEA Free-standing; easy to place and move. Stands steady on uneven floors because it has adjustable feet.
It is still very much a work in progress, but here's a look at what it looks like now.  I already feel like I can breathe again, though, which has lifted my spirits and restored my creative mojo.
I can't wait to get sewing again! 
Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

28 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! Moving my craft room downstairs to where the master bedroom (spare bedroom) is now is on my "to do" list for this summer. I have quickly outgrown the little room that is my current "Craft Cave" and desperately need some more space. Great idea on the IKEA desk!! I may have to go look those up :-)

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I am redoing my room too. You are way ahead of me in terms of getting it together enough to sew! Love looking at other peoples sewing spaces :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks fantastic already. What a great room you have there, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it will be a really fun place to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Looks like a fantastic space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's going to be such a wonderful, fantastic space!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lights! Plenty of lights will make if really worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are probably going to want to make your cutting table counter height to work comfortably there while standing. I love mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great! I am very jealous!!
    About the design wall...what if you put a rod going parallel with the bookcases up high on the slanted ceiling on the left that you could slide a piece of PVC pipe on that has some batting taped to it...it can be rolled up when you don't want it there and unrolled for your design wall! You can use some simple clamps to keep it rolled up!:) Then you can have it as wide as you want it and as tall!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful space! I love organizing my sewing space, sew much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a great space planned.it would be very hard to wait until the fall when you have plans set. Instead of setting your new space up you will be able to bury yourself in sewing when your son leaves for college. I love the doll houses your daughter has!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The IKEA kitchen counter looks like mine. My cutting mat fits on top perfectly and the shelves hold my plastic bins. The height is perfect for cutting. I first saw it in a sewing spaces book a few years ago and was really happy when IKEA came to town and I could finally buy it. It takes at least two to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy - what height is your cutting table?? I'm in the process of setting one up, and I've made do for so long, I don't know what will be a comfortable height when I get the "perfect" set-up!

      Delete
    2. 36" is standard counter height. Adjust up or down if you are shorter or taller than average!

      Delete
  13. What a great space to make your own. I am sure it will be beautifully creative when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is going to be a lovely space to work in, I sew in the kitchen as it is the only warm room in the winter, heating being too expensive to use. My daughter keeps telling me to turn the large spare room into a sewing room but I ignore her! Have stuff all over the place but live on my own so what the heck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic!! I wish you many happy sewing hours in this wonderful room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this the space looks great. This is the second post I have come across today where someone redid their sewing room. Hmm it's giving me ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see two things have already made it into your sewing room from IKEA. I love that blue cart, and I think two of those tables back to back would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing! I am going to look for bed risers...I have a table I use for cutting etc., but its really too low to work at while standing. You did such a good job. Thanks so much for sharing you ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had an idea for a design wall that you may be able to use. Remember those chalk boards that the teacher would write on, then flip it over to write on the other side. They were in a frame on wheels so they could be easily rolled out of the way. I thought about using one of those and just staple some felt on it to hold my blocks while placing them. Just an idea. Your room looks great so far. You are giving me some ideas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is WAY cool!! I am in the process of setting up in MY daughter's old bedroom, too!! I was in a very small bedroom, and when she moved, I decided I should use hers, which is the largest bedroom, and it is BLISS!! I'm still not all the way organized/set-up like I want, but, as you say, it's a work-in-progress!! Great job, you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is looking good - so much more inspiring for you to work in. I've just been to ikea to get some open shelving for fabric and saw that same unit and covet it for a cutting table!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely space to create in! Your sketch looks amazing and I'm thinking that IKEA unit would be a great home for my future Accuquilt cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm eyeing my daughters room. For now it's still full of her furniture while she lives out of town and comes home to visit often She's hoping to buy a house of her own next year.
    I need to be more organized and its not happening and I too am a messy quilter/crafter. I probably need a whole building and I could probably still fill it up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great room and set up! Love the aqua Ikea cart! That's been on my want list for awhile but we don't have one very close to us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great room and set up! Love the aqua Ikea cart! That's been on my want list for awhile but we don't have one very close to us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great! Is that a Handiquilter sitdown back there?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...